Disqus is an American blog comment hosting service for web sites and online communities that use a networked platform. The company’s platform includes various features, such as social integration, social networking, user profiles, spam and moderation tools, analytics, email notifications, and mobile commenting. It was founded in 2007 by Daniel Ha and Jason Yan. Disqus allows users to log in with various social media accounts, such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google. The platform then uses social media profile information to help identify and track commenters across the web. This allows commentators to build up a reputation on Disqus, which can encourage more thoughtful and meaningful participation in online conversations. In addition, Disqus offer advanced features for website owners, such as moderation tools and analytics. These features can help website owners to keep track of their audience’s engagement with their site and ensure that only constructive comments are displayed. Overall, Disqus is a valuable tool for both website owners and commenters alike.
Disqus was launched in 2007 as a third-party commenting system similar to Intense Debate and Livefyre. In 2017, marketing technology platform Zeta Global announced its acquisition of Disqus in a deal amounting to $90 million. Disqus has admitted that it was breached in July 2012 and hackers stole details of more than 17.5 million users. The stolen data includes email addresses, usernames, sign-up dates, and last login dates in plain text for all 17.5 million users. However, since late 2012 Disqus has made upgrades to improve its security and changed its password hashing algorithm to Bcrypt—a much stronger cryptographic algorithm which makes it difficult for hackers to obtain user’s actual password. Affected users were encouraged to change their passwords on other sites where they may have used the same or similar password as their Disqus account.
Disqus Plans and Pricing
Disqus plans are designed to support a wide range of publishers, from personal bloggers to media conglomerates. The company offers three different paid plans, as well as a free option for those who want to use Disqus’ basic features. The Entry plan (called Disqus Plus) is perfect for personal bloggers who want to increase engagement on their site. For just $12 per month, website owners can remove ads for sites up to 50.000 total daily pageviews. The Professional plan is designed for larger websites and costs $115 per month. Including up to 150.000 total daily pageviews, users also get access to additional features like advanced analytics and moderation tools, custom reactions, commenter badges and priority support. The Business plan is aimed at larger publishers and has custom pricing. This plan includes all the features of the Professional plan, plus additional tools for managing high-traffic sites like:
- SSO Integration
- White Labeling
- Branded Email Notifications
- Targeted Lightboxes
- Direct Account Manager
- Custom Fonts
No matter what your needs are, Disqus has a plan that’s right for you.
The Disqus API enables developers to communicate with Disqus data from within their own applications. This allows developers to create innovative applications that Disqus users can take advantage of. For example, a developer could create an application that allows users to post comments on a blog from within the app. The Disqus API also enables developers to moderate comments and track comment activity. This is valuable for site owners who want to ensure that their comments are respectful and on-topic. By providing access to Disqus data, the Disqus API gives developers the ability to create powerful and useful applications for Disqus users.
While Disqus may have been one of the first comment tools on the internet, it is certainly not the only one. In recent years, a number of competitors have entered the market, offering similar services without the ads. As a result, Disqus has seen a decline in popularity. Additionally, many users are turned off by the fact that they need to pay for a subscription in order to disable advertising. For these reasons, there are a number of Discus alternatives that are gaining popularity. These alternatives provide similar services without the ads, making them more attractive to users. In addition, many of these alternatives are offered for free, further increasing their appeal.
- Native comment tools of CMS and blogging systems like WordPress
- Jetpack is another popular Disqus alternative for WordPress that offers a variety of features, including social media integration and spam protection.
- Facebook Comments is another option that many website owners are turning to, as it allows visitors to login with their Facebook account and comment on articles or videos.
- Muut is another excellent option that offers a clean and simple design that is easy to use, and it provides almost all of the features that Disqus offers.
- WPDiscuz is another excellent Discus alternative for WordPress that offers a great selection of features, including social media integration, spam protection, and more.
- CommentLuv is another option that offers a variety of features, including the ability to upvote or downvote comments, social media integration, and more.
- Viafoura is another excellent option that offers a variety of features, including social media integration, forums, video commenting, and more.
- Thrive Comments is another excellent option for WordPress blogs that offers similar features to Disqus, as well as some additional features like a suite of reporting tools that help you get to know your audience.
- Commento is a lightweight, privacy-focused alternative to Disqus.
- Cusdis is another excellent OpenSource option that offers similar features to Disqus.
- GraphComment is another privacy-focused and GDPR friendly alternative to Disqus.
- OpenWeb is another alternative to Disqus for large publishers.
There are a number of excellent options available for those who are looking for an alternative to Disqus, so be sure to check out all of the options before making your final decision. Whichever option you choose, you’re sure to find an excellent comment tool that will meet your needs.